What is a weighted blanket?
As the name suggests a weighted blanket is a blanket filled with small objects providing extra weight that gently feels like being hugged or swaddled. Linen & Homes' Tranquility weighted blanket is filled with micro glass beads which is a higher quality environmentally friendly filler and is also hypoallergenic, imagine the texture of white sand or salt crystals.
The weighted blanket should be sized to the user so it may not necessarily replace your existing comforter or duvet.
What is the hype behind weighted blankets?
The sensation of sleeping beneath a weighted blanket releases ‘happiness hormones’ that can improve sleep quality and duration providing the feeling of safety, relaxation and comfort. It mimics the pressure of being hugged or held which is a powerful stimulus allowing you to feel more secure and calm.
One study showed the majority of users reported lower anxiety and stress.
What are the top 5 benefits of using a weighted blanket?
- Eases insomnia and helps you fall asleep faster. Just as infants are recommended to be swaddled, a weighted blanket has a similar calming effect on adults.
- Reduces anxiety and stress.
- Improves focus for adults and kids with ADHD.
- Helps with sensory processing disorder. Imagine a “traffic jam” in your brain where information goes it but somehow gets jumbled along the way which can lead to anxiety and meltdowns. Studies show adults and kids were able to immediately calm down after using a weighted blanket.
- Alleviates restless leg syndrome. Sufferers describe these sensations as “pins and needles,” “itchy” and even a “creepy crawly” feeling. The blanket feels like a gentle, steady hug around the legs, which may calm irritated nerves and the above sensations
Is the weighted blanket suitable for me?
Anyone can enjoy the benefits of a weighted blanket (please do not use infants and kids under 12 years of age as it may cause suffocation). One consideration is that it is a 12lb (5.5kg) weighted blanket; some people may feel too warm underneath it even with the air condition on low. To address this, Linen & Homes’ Tranquility weighted blanket comes with a removable and machine washable 100% bamboo cover which allows the blanket to be more breathable and cooling.
The size of our weighted blanket (48 x 72” a bit narrower than a twin bed) may not necessarily replace your bed comforter or duvet as it’s meant to be used by a single person.
Like all therapeutic products, a weighted blanket is a personal preference and may not be suitable for everyone. If you have any questions or comments about Linen & Homes Tranquility weighted blanket, please get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org